Monday, February 26, 2007

It's a done deal!

This morning, I did it! I registered for the Chicago Marathon! I sat there and stared at the registration form for about 20 minutes trying to decide not only if I COULD do it, but if I even WANTED to. It takes some serious dedication and a major lifestyle change. With it being 7 months away, is this something I could really commit to at this time?

I actually started training for the Portland Marathon back in 2001. I joined a training group and it worked out very well. I never had any motivational problems and I was able to keep up with the schedule. The only thing that stopped me was an injury I got during the half-marathon benchmark race. It was a real heart breaker for me. I worry that I won't be able to stay on track with out a training group. I worry that the heat of the Chicago summer will do me in. I worry that I will just get bored with it, like I do most other things.

But I don't want to look at it negatively! I have to remind myself that I can do it! That I'm now financially invested :) This could be the greatest thing I've ever done!

Sadly, I'm approaching it from the complete novice level. I am going to start from the groud floor and work my way up. No injuries this time! I will not assume I can run any particular distance or amount of time right now. I'm going to assume I've never run before in my life. Slow and steady! I found a 6 week training schedule to work yourself up from walker to runner. This is the route I'm going to take. Sure, I can run right now, but I've got 7 months...why not take it slow?

This blog will be to follow my progress. To help hold me accountable. And maybe even motivate someone else to do the same thing! Cross your fingers!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pain is temporary...quitting is forever...remember than when you're training and commit yourself to seeing the job thru to completion Sis. I know you will succeed - you have to.