Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Almost...

I wrote that little confession blog yesterday after I had made the same confession to my two marathon/triathalon friends. Let me tell you, they whipped my thinking back into shape in a heartbeat! One told me to throw away that crap training schedule I was on because it wasn't doing enough to build my endurance. He then adjusted his schedule from his training last year to something that I could work with and told me to DO IT!!! So, I did :) There is waaaaaaay more running in this schedule (5 days vs 4 day a week) and the distances are definitely greater. It might kill me. For real. But, with how I've been struggling, I figure its worth a shot.

It started with 5 miles last night. Those 5 miles were great! But, the first run back is always great because your body is fully rested and recovered. I waited until just as the sun was setting since things have been getting a little hot around here. That didn't stop the humidity from being annoying though! And once the sun was down, oh geez...watch out for the bug swarms!!! You can't see them until you are in them, literally. And I was sweating so I'd get the occasional knat stuck to my face! Gross! The upside? Lightning bugs!!!! We don't have those back in Oregon, but I remember the days of spending summers back east to visit my family (my mom is from the Big Apple) and every night me and the girl that lived next door to my grandparents would go outside and try to catch them. It was such a highlight for me since I only got to see them once a year! So, last night, I'm running along and its starting to get creepy dark and I'm having thoughts about getting abducted from the path and then I see it! That little greenish glow for just a second! A smile immediately jumped on my face! For the last mile and a half, all I did was watch for lightning bugs. For some reason, that just made the run for me! I then proceeded to miss the final mile marker sign in the dark...must have been in some trees or something and I almost got lost :) In the dark, on the lake...scary.

Tonight I'm supposed to run 8 miles. This is intimidating me severly. For one, we are having storms and the weather may not make this a good run. Then there is just the fact that it is 8 miles. That is almost an hour and a half of running. It will take my whole evening. I hate that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NICE....i got goosebumps just READING that. A nd I cuild hear Apollo in my head tellin me....

"STICK and MOVE Rock...STICK and MOVE!!"

Keep it up...and remember...

"Excellence is a HABIT"