Monday, July 02, 2007

Ouch!

In so many ways... First of all, my boy Jon was visiting and decided to run my long run with me this week. He is currently involved in triathlons, but hadn't run a distance this long ever. We set out and I knew I was going to fast, but I felt pressure because he is in such good shape, I thought he would get bored running so slow. Well, by 5.5 miles my heart rate was way too high and I decided I needed to walk a bit. Believe it or not, he went on ahead without me! AND he finished the whole 9 miles! He is my hero! I alternated between running and walking the remainder of the 3.5 miles. So, that was ouch number one.

Then, we had signed up to do the Race for the Taste 5k on Sunday. I was already tired from Saturday's run. I haven't gotten to sleep in for 2 weeks. And, basically, I just didn't want to do it! But, Jon was not having that! Got my butt up at 6am. We got ready and headed down to Grant Park. He decided he was gonna run this 5k for time since that is the length he runs for his tris. I, on the otherhad, was just going to try to finish it without walking! Once it started though, I pushed myself to not just jog, even though my body was tired. I ran it faster than I run my usual runs, but still probably not as fast as I could have if I hadn't have run on Saturday. I ended up finish in at just over a 10 minute mile pace. I'll take that! That was ouch number two.

As part of the goodie bag for Race to the Taste, you got a free strip of tickets. But, the Taste didn't open until 11am and the race ended around 9:30. So, we hung out and waited. Then walked around it for a bit. Then ate. Then finally decided to head home. Um, let's just say a little sunblock might have been a good idea! I was fried! It didn't look so bad at the time, but as the day wore on and the burn "developed"...wow. And ouch number three.

Now, I'm exhausted. I ran both days. I didn't sleep too well last night cuz of the burn. And I'm tried of getting up early :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sis...I'm so proud of you for being tuff on sat AND sun. I know you're sore and spent...so thank goodness today is a rest day.

Keep working hard..the mary is closing in..and we still got work to do. All in all, however, I feel like you are well on your way to the Chi Town Mary on 10.7!!

"I AIN'T HEARD NO BELL!!!"