Thursday, November 15, 2007

Plan B

No, not the emergency contraception... Went over the x-rays with the Doc and things are pretty not good. My lower spine is curving left, probably from that heavy bag I tote around with me all the time on my right shoulder. To make up for it, my body has curved my spine to the right up by my neck...nature's crazy version of "balance", if you will. So yeah, my spine is an "S". Great. Then there is my neck. This should be curved. Nice smooth curve from the top of my spine to my skull...but no. Mine is straight as an arrow. I kid you not. Why me?!!!

Treatment: I had electric stimulation (like a tingle that makes the muscle spasm) treatment and then an adjustment...which was the most unnerving experience EVER, let me tell you! Nothing like thinking someone is about to snap your head off and hearing 10 popping bones all at once! I have to have adjustments 3 times a week for the next 4-6 weeks, then we'll do a re-evaluation and see if things are straightening out...HA! Get it? Straightening out? Okay, yeah.

Running is not exactly on my chiropractor's top list of things to help my back :) Shocking, I know. So, I'm walking. A lot. It's pretty much getting boring, but it's the best option I've got at the moment. My mom will be arriving on Saturday so at least I'll have a walking buddy for a week. I'm trying to convince her to walk the Turkey Trot with me, but with the temps dropping, she is not ready to give in.

I may try to work on just strengthening my lower body as best I can in the weight department. I'll keep walking and maybe even try to jog some intervals. Mostly, I just don't want to reaggrevate this muscle...or nerve...or whatever the Doc said it was. Just when I'm ready to give it another go, something always comes up! I need to find a routine before the holidays come and I get totally sidetracked!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HOpe you are feeling better. maybe you should ask your doc about PT so you can help strengthen the area and they can get you into a safe exercise routine for your problem. Good luck.