Monday, February 18, 2008

Inspiration

I'm forever looking for inspiration. I'm weak. It is hard to find it within myself to accomplish some of my "life" things and I'm just always forcing people to give me words of wisdom :)

It was Valentine's Day. My friend and I happened to end up going out to dinner that night and being that we are a man and a woman, having dinner together, on a holiday for couples, well...it seemed to be assumed by the waitstaff that we were in need of a little romatic push. So, when we ordered our usual huge bowl drink, it came much more alcohol infused than usual! And, of course, we both proceeded to drink more than we ate :) Ah...I love Valentine's Day!

Anywho, this little buzz-fest led to a really, truly inspiring conversation after dinner. My problem with this whole running thing is multi-tiered. First, there is the getting up in the morning to run. I am forever trying to figure out how to be a morning person. Why is this so important? Because when the weather gets hot, I'm also not one to force myself into suffering through a night run. Therefore, if there is no run in the morning...and temps make me call it that night = NO RUN. Next is the whole laziness factor. I admit it! I am lazy! Marathon + Lazy = Failure. It goes without saying that that missing one run during the week makes progression hard enough...but missing multiple runs? That is recipe for disaster...and for some reason, I guess I liked living on the edge :)

So, the conversation. He just put it all so simple. I am in charge of my actions. I can do whatever I CHOOSE to do. Choices. I have to make them. For the right reasons. And another thing he put so simply...don't you want to be able to face the day and everyone in it and think about how much you already accomplished before 9am, that they didn't? YES! Yes, I do! I want to walk into the office and look at everyone and scream, "I ran 8 miles this morning! What did you do?!"

And so what if I can't pig out on pizza everyday? I've got years and years and YEARS beyond this marathon to eat pizza. Can I really not handle passing it up right now? I think I've just been looking at this all wrong. I am in charge of me, my time and my abilities. Not my job. Not the weather. Not my heart rate monitor that rubbed me raw...I am! And I will do what I need to do, to do this right! And everytime I begin to falter, I will think of that buzzed conversation that made it all sound so easy. Just like he made the marathon look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i feel this...everyday I feel this. I feel it when I ahve a great day...or a not so great day of training. It IS a choice...and U have to accept the consequences that come with every single choice you make. The enlightenment comes not from solely understanding this idiom..but from understanding the delicately beautiful balance between choice and consequence.

Kepe it up...I Love You