Sunday, February 03, 2008

Small Steps

So, with my promotion come working on alternating Saturdays. Sucks, right? No! Actually, I loved having Friday off and then going in on Saturday where basically no one is there and I can actually get some real work accomplished!! PLUS...since its a short day (9-3pm) its a lot easier to fit in my trip to the gym! Most days, I'm so drained when I get off that I just want to go home and be a lump!

Yesterday, I totally planned to hit the gym after work. But, as the day wore on and the thought of getting home started to creep into my head, the seemed to become less and less enticing. Right when I had almost made up my mind to forget the gym, it was 3pm and time to head out. I'm not sure how or why, but I found myself grabbing my gym bag and heading upstairs!
I got to the gym and it was deserted. Saturdays in a Loop office building are a little quiet :) The lights weren't even on! But the music was still pumpin' through the speakers and the TVs on the machines were going strong. So, with the gym all to myself, I finally attacked a little cardio. I spent some time on the elliptical trainer and then walked some serious hills on the treadmill. And that there, folks, wore me out! I wanted to get some weights in, but I was too tired!

As disappointed as I am at how bad I've let my cardiovascular stamina get, I still feel a little better with every workout. I know its not possible, but I swear I already feel stronger! When I put my hands on my thighs when standing up from the couch, I swear I feel my little quad muscles coming alive! My butt feels just a little bit tighter. And its great to feel some soreness in my abs since that is a muscle group I have always neglected...no matter how good of shape I've been in! I'm taking small steps, but this is the start of something good! I can feel it!

No comments: