Saturday, February 09, 2008

Morning *cough* Coffee

This morning I went and met my friend for coffee...well, he had tea because he's already knee deep in his training mentality, but I told him I wasn't giving up coffee until Monday :)

We started talking about our training differences and he made some valid points. He wanted to clarify that the reason he wanted to wait until August to train with me was because he wants to make sure that I'm doing it for me. He said that if he is my crutch the whole and and something should happen that he can't continue, he doesn't want me to fall off because I was using him as my motivator. And you know, that is a very valid point. He basically wants me to make sure that I'm doing it for me and that nothing will get in my way.

Then, of course, he addressed my morning issue. You all know how many times I've tried to conquer the early morning thing, but it just doesn't seem possible! I love to sleep! Again, he made another valid point here. We both felt sort of cheated out of our summers in the years that we trained because running had to come first and forced us to miss out on various events and whatnot. But, he says if we can make sure that we run in the mornings, that will leave our weekends and evenings free to take advantage of the good weather and still enjoy ourselves while also getting all our training in. Hmmmm...this guy is kinda smart!

Lastly, he talked to me about my overall dedication and how far I'm willing to go. I never played organized sports past junior high and he thinks that is why the thought of pushing myself beyond my physical comfort level is so awful to me. I've just never had to. My take on it is to find a way to do this in the least disruptive way possible, while his take is to attack it head on and adjust anything and everything in the way.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I guess my way didn't work so well, afterall...I supposed I could try to push myself harder. But that is scary. I supposed now is the time to test the waters, before the real training starts. Yikes!

No comments: