Saturday, May 26, 2007

Woo-Ha!

I had two definitions of success in today's race. The first was to run the 10 miles in under 2 hours. The other goes kind of hand in hand with that in that I didn't want to walk any part of the course. Mission 1: Success! Mission 2: Success! Yeah! I ran the entire race w/o stopping except for at the water stations and I ran it in under 2 hours. I forgot to check the time when I crossed the start line so I'm not sure of my exact time, but its some where around 1 hour 50 minutes. I know, I know, that is an 11 minute mile, but I'm cool with that. I made sure to watch my heartrate the entire race and I kept it low! Actually, that is the best long run I've had where I've managed to keep it low for the entire time!

At mile 5 I was feeling so great that I just knew I had this race in the bag. What a difference a couple of miles can make! By mile 7 I was back to playing the mind vs. body game. My mind was telling me I was tired and that walking wouldn't be a total loss...but I had to fight it. I knew that my body was fine...it was a little fatigued and the bottoms of my feet were sore from pounding all that pavement, but overall, nothing was hurting. So, I forced (I there were points where I can't stress the word FORCE enough!) to keep going. Then, just when I was thinking I might truly have to give in to walking, there was Soldier Field! Right there in sight! And not too far away!

The catch, you had to run all the way around that big ass place before you get to the tunnel you run in through...then you gotta run through the tunnel, then around half the field...probably the longest mile of my life! Not cool when you can see your finishing point, but you can't SEE your finish point...got me? But, in the end, I did it! I am so proud of myself! Now, I gotta run another 10 next weekend...yipee :(

A little tired, probably sore tomorrow, but in good shape! Thanks to everyone who wished me well and who called to congratulate my fine finish :)

No comments: