Sunday, June 03, 2007

That Last Mile!

So, I had a weak week! Somehow, reaching my first benchmark in the training last weekend made me think I could take a break :) I only did one run this week! Bad girl! I was supposed to do my 10 mile run w/ my group yesterday, but stayed up WAY too late Friday night and could not drag my butt out of bed to go at 6:40am. Then, by the time I did get up, it was too hot out to be clockin' 10 miles. There was even a point yesterday where I was ready to bag the run entirely cuz I really wanted to go out last night. I haven't been out in weeks and I need to shake my butt!

My conscience got the best of me. I turned in early and got up this morning to run. I really, really, REALLY did not want to do it! Those last 3 miles were really difficult last weekend and the only thing that kept me running was that there was a clock at the end tracking my time. This time, there would be no clock...well, my watch, but only I would have to know. I was afraid I couldn't do it again, especially alone.

But I got out there to give it the ol' college try. And I did it! It never fails to amaze me how my body adapts and rises to the occasion for these runs! My mind definitely gives out way before my body starts to get exhausted. And despite the lack of running this week, this 10 miles was actually easier than last week! I didn't poop out until that last mile. But, don't trip, that last mile was brutal! Between Lawerence and Foster, it is a straight away and you can see the end...and how far away it is! And how not close you are getting, despite the fact that your feet seem to keep moving!

Maybe this is how it is going to be. Maybe it is never going to be easy to conquer that last mile. I can live with that as long as the rest of the run doesn't kill me!

No comments: