Friday, September 21, 2007

I was missing out!

I had planned to run last night, but it has been a timing issue with the sun setting earlier these days. I've been running around my neighborhood because I feel safer there in the dark than on the lake front path, but its getting boring and the sidewalk is a bitch on my knees. I really, really wanted to get to the lake front last night, but I couldn't make it work before dark. So, "lightbulb", I get the idea to ride my bike (okay, not MY bike, but the one I borrowed and now claim as my own) to my friend's place (and get at least a little exercise in) and then run in the morning. I pack up all my stuff into a backpack and head out about 8:15pm.

Since it was dark and I had no lights or reflective gear...or helmet...I figured I better stay on the busy, well lit streets. Which meant Ashland. Yeah right, my scaredy cat self was not about to try to ride with traffic on Ashland...its scary enough being in a car! So, I did the unthinkable in Chicago...I rode on the sidewalk! There wasn't hardly any foot traffic so it actually wasn't a problem at all.

Let me tell you how much I truly enjoyed this ride!!! First off, I make this commute fairly often. It's only 4 miles, but with traffic, it can be the most stressful 20 minutes ever! Being on the bike, I could just cruise. No being stuck behind slow pokes or being cut off by a crazy cab driver. It was sooooo relaxing. Plus, you notice stuff you would never notice from your car. There were families sitting on their stoops and all kinds of different music coming from houses and bars. I was so loving the experience! There was a creepy part where I had to ride passed this huge cemetary. Its way different to be outside a car and cruising by in the dark. I had this mantra running through my head, "just look straight ahead, just look straight ahead..." Creepy.

And the best part of all? I didn't have to cruise around the neighborhood for 20 minutes looking for a parking spot! There was absolutely no downside! I can't believe I haven't done this before! I've got to make this a habit! It only took 30 minutes...barely more than it takes to drive...and probably less when you figure in time to park!

And then guess what? I actually ran this morning! Granted, it was only 3 miles because I slept later than I had planned and didn't have time for more, but it was something! Overall, this was a great plan! And I love the bike!

No comments: