Thursday, September 06, 2007

Always something...

It's always something with this training. I'm now going through a new (and not good) phase. I've been through the "I hate running" phase. The "this is too hard" phase. The "26 miles? You've got to be kidding me" phase. Now, somehow, I've stumbled into a really bad one. The "I don't care" phase.

I'm not really sure how this happened. But suddenly, I just don't care about the marathon. I don't care if I have to walk half of it. I don't care if I don't run between now and Oct. 7th. I just plain don't care :( I'm assuming this is the final burnout phase. Maybe this is the result of begining training so early in the season. Maybe 6 months is too long for me to mentally hold out. I really don't know where it came from and why its there. I'm hoping its over soon.

I ran this morning and it was the first time in a week. It was hard. 4 miles was hard. Critical Mass last Friday really put a strain on my knees and I felt it big time this morning. Note to self: No more Critical Mass until after the marathon! My stride felt very sloppy and uncontrolled. I felt like I'd forgotten how to run. Forgotten all the adjustments I'd made to my form. Forgotten my breathing techniques. It was bad. But the good side was that I got out there and did it. Because I haven't had the willpower to do even that for a week now. Hopefully, this is the start of something good. I had my week off and of not caring and I've got to dig down deep and finish what I've started!

3 comments:

LeahC said...

getting out there when feeling like that is the best way to get around it. keep on doing that and you'll be back in it. Think of how far you have come in your training, and how the race is only 4 weeks away! that's crazy talk! Just stay strong for another 30days or so and you'll be at the race.

Tim McLain said...

Congratulations! You got 'slacking off' out of the way and you're now ready to run to the finish line! It's hard. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it (and they're not). The reason I'm running another marathon is not for the agonizing months of training. It's the last 3 seconds that make it all worth it. Only 3 or 4 more long runs to go before the 7th!!! See you at the finish line!

Iron Jayhawk said...

I've always wanted to do critical mass, but I'm too nervous to go.

You'll have to drag me there sometime, okay!! :)

But I hear ya on the burnout thing. Keep it up though...the day is almost here!