Wednesday, May 21, 2008

This never stops being amazing to me

How can this year just be such the exact opposite of last year's experience? Every time I have a great run, it still amazes me! It is such a great feeling not to hate, fear, dread, insert-bad-adjective-here my runs!

Tonight was another one of those nights where I got home and was tired and hungry and pretty much felt like laying on the couch was the best way to expend what energy I had left. But, I knew that was not an option. Again, last year, it surely would have been! I suited up and decided to run north. At first I figured I'd run to Addison, but when I got there, I thought maybe to Grace. When I got there, I figured, why not shoot for Irving Park? As I made my way back south, I did begin to feel a bit tired, but I knew I had to make it back! Despite my fatigue, these were my splits:

Mile 1: 9:49
Mile 2: 9:34
Mile 3: 9:44
Mile 4: 9:32
Half Mile: 4:43

That comes to a 9:38/mile pace! That is ridiculous! This can't be me! These can't be my legs! I don't want to get my hopes up too much for Saturday because I know a race is a whole different ball game. There is the crowded beginning that wastes a lot of time. And stopping to get water without being able to stop the clock...My watch allows me to enjoy my water break without messing with my time :) As long as I don't jump out of the gate too quickly, I think I'm still game to make a 1:45 finish. We'll see!

No comments: