Thursday, August 23, 2007

Bad Idea!

I had brought all my running clothes to work yesterday so that I could go straight to the lake when I got off. Going home tends to lead to excuses not to go back out :) As I begin changing, I realize that I did not pack all my clothes. No shirt! I knew I didn't want to go home to get one and that there was a spare COTTON T-shirt in my trunk...how bad could it be, right?

Let me paint this picture for you: 6:30pm, sun still up, temp about 85, heat index somewhere in the 90's, me in a cotton shirt. NOT GOOD! Not only was I very quickly drenched in sweat, but that shirt was like a little capsule of heat! I could literally feel the heat trapped between me and it! I tried rolling the sleeves up to my shoulders and it worked for a little bit, but soon even that wasn't enough to keep me cool. I've never been so uncomfortable on a run in my life!! I went 4 miles and called it done. Walked the rest of the way back to the car with a few stints of running since the walk was talking forever!

I didn't want to be a quitter so was determined to head out this morning with the right gear and knock out what I was supposed to last night...Mother Nature had a different plan! A little before 4am, a HUGE storm rolled in and cracked the loudest thunder claps I've ever heard for over an hour. Let's just say that it made for 4 hours of sleep and running was the farthest thing from my mind! So, it looks like I'll end up trying to run in the ridiculous heat again, but at least this time I'll have the right gear on!

No comments: