Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I bought a book

I'm not sure what made me start searching for a marathon book...especially since I already have a couple John Bingham books that I've only cracked the first few chapters of...but none the less, I started searching. And whah-la! I think I found one that will be perfect for me! I do realize it is a BIT late in the game to be starting a new training book, but who cares!

The book I found is "The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer", its written by two professors who taught a Marathon 101 class at a university. One is a professor in psychology and one is a professor in physical education...perfect combo for marathon help! And they say only one of the 200 students who took their class didn't successfully complete the marathon.

I really think what I'm looking to get out of this book is the psychological help. My mind is my biggest enemy right now...although my legs are a close second! Training schedules are a dime a dozen on the internet, but great skills and ideas for keeping your head in the game are harder to come by.

I've only read the intro so far cuz well, you know, I'm at work and I'm supposed to be working :) But I hope to really dive into it tonight and see what its all about. And maybe I need to looking to the Bingham books sitting on my shelf while I'm at it! I'm still waiting to see John out on the path one of these Saturday mornings...actually, I've probably passed him several times already...I'm not the most observant runner! And to be honest, most of those big training groups piss me off because they are not very considerate to individual runners. Here is a quick rant...

I realize that they are a large group, but that doesn't mean that they own the path! I don't know how many times a group passed me and literally ran me off the path...I was truly surprised at that since it seems that most runners are really supportive of each other. It didn't seem to matter if I was passing them or if they were passing me, they never failed to feel like I needed to be the one to get out of the way. I will add that there was an exception: One group that I kept playing leap frog with due to water stops was really nice and funny. The guys at the back of the pack were totally hilarious and making jokes with me and stuff. That is what I expect from other runners, not the "run me into the grass" stuff I usually see. End rant. :)

Back to the topic at hand...I'll keep you posted on my thoughts about this book. If I decide to run 2008, maybe this can be my guide from the start!

No comments: