Monday, August 20, 2007

I hate mornings!

I really, really do! My body was still pretty tired from the 13 miles I did on Saturday, but I knew I had to stick to my schedule this week...so I crashed at my friend's pad so that I could wake up early and hit the path running. I went to bed at 11pm and boy did I pass out! That is how beat I still was from that run! Usually, I have a hard time sleeping in a bed other than my own...not last night. My head hit the pillow and it was over!

The alarm went off at 5am and it was still very dark out. That made it very difficult to even grasp the idea of getting out of the bed. At 5:15, I dragged myself to the kitchen and made a bowl of cereal. Didn't turn on any lights because I was still in some sort of denial about actually being awake. I ate in the dark. I sat and just watched the sky over the lake looking for something that resembled light. I started to pray the huge storm that hung around all night would somehow make its way back. No one would expect me to run in a monsoon...would they? But, that was a no go!

6am, I headed out. Holy Moly! My body was soooo tired! My muscles were screaming for me to stop from the jump! But I knew I just had to power through. The path was DEAD. I ran the whole straight away past the softball fields without a single person in sight! Spent a good part of the run dodging puddles and 4x4ing it through the grass. Maybe that is what kept me distracted and allowed me to go on much easier the farther into the run I got. Once I passed the 5 miles marker, something just happened. I ran that last mile like it was nothing! My speed was up, my movement was smooth, I wasn't winded. It was an excellent way to end the run!

The storm left it very humid out so I was sweating like a pig! But it was a great run for getting up at 5am. I am not a morning runner and I never will be. I hate mornings. I am dreading running tomorrow morning already, but I have to hold onto these small triumphs! And this morning was one.

No comments: