Sunday, October 07, 2007

DNF

Yes, its official. I Did Not Finish. And I wish I could say I was trucking along with all my might when the course decided I was not fast enough and turned me back, but no. It was me. I made the decision to quit. Ironically, I think it was right where they make the people not clocking a fast enough time turn around...but it turns out that was quite a bit after I passed that mark.

So, why did I give up? Well, first of all, it was hot as hell. And then, de ja vu, the water stations ran out of water! Seriously, you have people running a marathon in 80+ degree weather and you don't have a back up plan for water stations running out?! Ridiculous! But most of all, my feet hurt...bad. Those ugly, nasty calluses I developed during training and that I hated so much because they kept me from being able to wear all my cute summer shoes...turns out they were there for a reason. They have almost fully gone away during my lack of training here at the end and I paid the price for that today. My feet were killing me.

I got to the half way point and I said to myself, "Self, is it worth it? Is it worth the suffering you are about to endure for at least another two and a half hours to get that medal?" And the answer was no. So, I veered off course and headed back to Grant Park. Defeated.

Am I upset? Not really so much, surprisingly. Even though I really was hoping to finish today, I think I'd already written it off way back in my mind somewhere. I truly do not feel bad. I wish I had the 30th anniversary medal instead of one I'll get in the future (Because I will keep trying until I beat this thing!), but other than that, I'm really kind of happy I'm not still out there...dying. To everyone who did finish...I commend you tremendously! It was not pretty out there and you didn't even let it phase you! You are my hero!

I guess this means this blog is not over yet...on to the 2008 Chicago Marathon!

No comments: