Monday, October 08, 2007

Wow...

I didn't realize at the time that I wrote that last blog what had really happened at the marathon. Turns out my decision to stop wasn't so bad after all...they actually canceled the race about a half hour after I had called it a day. Conditions were too hot and they had run out of ambulances to help people who needed it! They straight made people turn around and walk back...I'm glad I did it when I was close to the start area instead of way out west.

The worst part is that race officials are denying that water stations were out of supplies! Can you believe that? What reason so us runners have to lie about it. And how would so many of us have the same story if it were not true? Worst of all, he is blaming the runners for taking TOO MUCH water on a day where the temps were 88 degrees while runners were still going?! Are you kidding me? This race director has absolutely no class! I realize these conditions were off the charts, but please do not lie about what really happened? Canceling the race? I understand why they had to do it. But lying about the water stations? Uncalled for!

And there are some runners saying that they didn't see any stations without water...maybe that would be because they were closer to the front of the pack? Ya think?

I still want to run a marathon, but now I'm not sure that I want to give my money back to the same marathon that is denying their role in the failure of the event. Maybe it would be best to find another city to run it in? I guess I'll get that all figured out in a few months!

Again, to everyone who completed the marathon on that brutal day, my hat goes off to you! You are amazing! And to those family, friends and spectators who brought out water and hoses and whatever else you could find to help us out, you are life savers. Literally! I hope you know how much you helped us all!

No comments: