Saturday, March 31, 2007

Weight is a Weird Thing

I hate to talk about weight cuz every woman out there is complaining about their weight and it gets old. Yes, I know...because I'm one of them. I'm discussing it here because for the first time in my life, my weight is baffling me!

I've never been a small girl. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it is genetically impossible for me to be much smaller than I am right now. Toning up, changing jiggle to muscle, yeah, that is a possibility. But dropping 3 sizes...uh, no. I can't believe I'm actually going to throw some numbers out here...but here goes! My "sort of watching what I eat, but being lazy" weight tends to be around 140-145. This is the number that I always creep back up to when I stop working out. I figure this is my natural weight...whatever that means :) Believe me, I've been bigger. When I was in high school and didn't care what I ate, I was way more than is. Sometimes I can't even imagine that I let it get that bad. In college, everyone was a workout fiend. And that is where I learned to exercise. Thank goodness! That is where I got down to my lowest ever, which was still only in the low 130's. See...I'm just not meant to be a small person!

Back to the current situation! So, I was at my typical, not working out weight several months ago when I went through a bad situation. For some reason, for the first time ever, my way of coping was to not eat. I had absolutely no appetite. In 2 weeks, I lost 7 pounds! No wonder there are so many girls struggling with anorexia...it works. I am not suggesting anyone stop eating! It is very scary to see that happening to yourself! I can't imagine being in that state permanently! Anyway, once I started eating again, I gained back a few pounds and then I started this running. I dropped back down to my "no appetite" weight, but I started eating everything in sight! No wonder people training for marathons don't lose weight. You start eating like its your last day on earth! This week, I haven't run at all...but yet I'm still eating like I have been :) This morning, I hesitantly walked over to the scale, not wanting to see the results of my foodfest. And guess what? Still at the same weight! How is that possible??

I've been eating at least one meal a day out. I've been raiding the vending machines at work every afternoon. I made goodies for the bake sale and sampled a plenty! My metabolism NEVER works in my favor. Seriously! I am absolutely in shock right now. So much so that I had to come write this blog and reveal my weight issues to the world! I am sure this will be sort lived. Then again, my marathon training group starts a week from today so I'll be running my butt off...literally. Note to self: Start doing squats ASAP to counter running butt off! :)

No comments: