Friday, March 02, 2007

This is supposed to be the easy part...

Day 4

The Workout:
Walk 1 mile
Run 3 min every half mile until 3.5 miles
Walk .5 miles
3 minute cool down

Walk Pace: 3.5 - 3.8 mph
Run Pace: 5.8 - 6.0 mph

Distance: 4.6 miles
Time: 1 hr 7 minutes

Holy moly! I am so out of shape! So much more so than I thought! Maybe I need to bring my running pace down cuz something has got to give! I'm still not sure about that 3.5 miles thing so I did it for 3 miles...which means 6 intervals. I really was going to go for the 7th, but my body just wouldn't let me. My hamstring was still a bit tight, and worse yet, a chronic hip/upper thigh problem is acting up again. That is why I brought down the walking pace. I figure it is WAY too early to be having so sit out due to injury! That would just plain be an embarrassment!

I have today off (Woo Hoo!), but tomorrow is another one of those walking only deals. And since there is snow in the forecast, it will have to be done on the treadmill. Oh how I am dreading this one! The only difference is that for the last mile, you interval with running. I'm hoping I can walk 3 miles without poking my eyes out and then run the 4th mile. I'll have to plan it around some good TV or something! Is there good TV on Saturday?? Very questionable! I'll workout it out...literally!

Finally getting my laptop next week so I will actually be able to blog right after the workouts. I figure it will be much more entertaining to get my gut reaction to things! Also, I'm thinking about investing in a heart rate monitor...any advice? Suggestions? Info? It would be greatly appreciated! Wish me luck tomorrow! Already dreading it... :)

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

I don't know you, I found your blog on Complete running and thought I'd offer some advice.

I own 3 heart rate monitors. Each with different capabilities. I've purchased each as my perceived needs changed during stages of my running.

My first was a very simple monitor with only the most basic functions on the watch. Polar entry level model. don't remember exactly. ~$50

Next was a Timex Ironman monitor watch combo. This was great cause it had the Timex Indiglo and could keep track of up to 100 laps in memory and let you switch between modes. I bought it used for $50, but I'd bet they'd be more like $150 from a retailer. I really enjoyed it, until I realized I could have GPS.

I went without a monitor for a while cause I was using a Garmin Forerunner 201 (GPS unit) and it didn't have a monitor. Bought it refurbished online for $80.

When It was time to upgrade the GPS to the more sensitive model I went with the Forerunner 305 which has the heart rate monitor on it. I LOVE the 305. It comes with software that lets you download the data from the garmin and see tables and charts. The best thing is that you get instant feedback of heart rate and pace and you don't have to measure your course ahead of time. I bought this on ebay for $250.

There are other brands and it depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to do with it. I'm a gadget geek so of course as I found there was a cooler one out there I had to have it.

As far as if they are worth getting, absolutely! It provides you with a much more accurate picture of the intensity of your workout. You just have to find out what your max heart rate is and then keep your workouts within a certain % of that depending on what kind of workout you are doing.

Nicole said...

Thanks for the info! I've been looking at Garmin and Polar. I guess the question now is basically which functions are really necessary for me and which I can pass on! Your insight was very helpful!