Monday, June 23, 2008

13 is a bad number, anyway!

Yes, this weekend was supposed to be my official half marathon. This did not end up the way I had planned. I could blame it on a lot of different things, but ultimately, my mental strength gave out. Dammit.

The first couple of miles were rough, but once I got warmed up, I was feeling good! The weather was warm, but not hot and there was a cool breeze blowing. I looked down at the Garmin and saw that I was 4.5 miles in and feeling really good. A few minutes later, I looked down again and saw a blank screen! What?! I started frantically pushing all the buttons to no avail. The Garmin was dead. This is where it started to go downhill. I was not on the mile marker path at this point so there was no way for me to now be sure of how far I'd gone. I started having to estimate how far it was until I got to another marker. Plus, this may sound silly, but the Garmin is motivating for me. Without the Garmin working, my morale was shot!

Oh yeah, and I had tummy problems, as usual. I had already spent some quality time on the porclain throne before I left :) But, it was acting up again. I was tired and started in on the "just make it to the next water fountain" routine. At one point, I noticed I had stopped sweating, but I only had a few more miles...I was guessing. Then I started to get goose bumps and feel very cold. This is the point at which I had to call it quits. I know the signs that my body is way dehydrated. The down side is that I think I was somewhere between 11.5 and 12 miles in. Could I have pulled it out? I think so. But, I was so uncomfortable with the belly problems and the fatigue that I used dehydration as an excuse to stop. And it is a valid excuse, so I should not get down on myself...at the same time, I don't want to be a quitter either.

Disappointing. And I blame it all on Garmin! Okay...and the bar food and beer I had the night before...but whatever!

I got home and called my friend to bitch and moan about the Garmin. He says, did you hold the buttons down for 6 seconds to reset it? No, I say. I hold the buttons and lo and behold, it pops back on! Grrrrrr...had I only known.

So screw the half marathon! That was my last attempt. I'm just moving forward with the training. That means 11 miles this weekend and that I can do!

Tonight starts the official training for The Hundred Pushups Challenge. Wish me luck!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW..U need to really be careful with those longer runs and improper nutrition the nite before. I understand you gotta live your life..but that sort o intake can really impact your health (Mental and Otherwise).

Please be careful....

Love you

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Healthy You Challenge! Take care of yourself on those runs. Good Luck with your Challenge, I really need to start with you!

Anonymous said...

You know what, after reading about the 100 push up challenge & managing to do 2 (OK, 1 and a quarter), I'm going to start tomorrow! Thanks!

JanetM97 said...

Welcome to HYC! Too bad about the half and good luck with the full!

The furthest race I ran is a local race that's 30K. I still "ponder" doing a marathon. I also did a Nike 10K (as I see you did). It's cool how they give you a shirt, eh? Ok, long welcoming post. Sorry I'm so gabby. ;)

p.s. One of my running buddies had a Garmin and she got super addicted to it, too. She had to go cold turkey and give it up. I liked when she wore it though. (It was cool to know all the real facts about your regular runs.)

Anonymous said...

welcome to hyc!!! sounds like that was a bummer for sure but sounds like you made a good call to stop don't want to mess around with dehydration much.

Slenderella said...

Hi there! Welcome to HYC! Running 11/12 miles is quite an accomplishment. Don't give up that goal of a marathon, you were so close. Perhaps on a day you're really feeling well, mentally and physically. Plus, now you know about holding the buttons on the Garmin. Go for it!!!

Lynn said...

Welcome to Healthy You!

Wow, that sounds like a non-fun day.

Cheesehead Runner said...

It totally does not sound silly I HATE when my Garmin doesn't cooperate, and to imagine I didn't have it for years......