Monday, June 02, 2008

11 Miles: Conquered

Wow, I haven't been blogging much lately. I guess it's kind of like how you are much more likely to go complain when you have a bad experience than you are to go give compliments when you've had a good one. So, that's a good thing because it means that my running is going absolutely wonderful!

I got in all my weekly runs at a pretty good pace, although some of them felt very tiring. And I'll admit, the Soldier Field 10 Mile stomped on my confidence a little bit because I struggled with those last 2 miles or so. This made me incredibly nervous about the 11 miles I had to run yesterday.

My tell-tale sign that something is bothering me is that I get stomachaches. It's been happening since I was a kid. I had stomachaches all night Saturday and had a hard time sleeping. I kept thinking about what route would be best and if it was going to be hot or not. Should I take some shot blocs with me or just try to go on water? It really sucked. Sunday morning was no different. I stopped by my friend's house before heading out and he was like, just relax, you'll be fine!

Knowing that I was nervous and that I'd run out of steam a little on the 10-miler, I decided I would just take it really slow. And it worked! I averaged a 10:14/mile pace, but the difference between this one and my other long runs is that I had enough steam in my engine to keep going if I had to. On my other long runs, I had to struggle to get to that last mile. So, now I know that 9:30 miles are great for during the week, but somewhere between 10 & 10:30 is good for the long run.

I feel very relieved and my confidence is back up! I drop down to 8 miles for my long run next weekend so I'm not at all worried about that, but then it's a half marathon the weekend after! Now, let's just pray the weather cooperates!

No comments: