Friday, April 04, 2008

Treadmills

This is my week at work where I have Friday off and go in for six hours on Saturday. As it turns out, my friend who works ALL THE TIME had the day off too! So, we decided to meet up at his gym to get our runs.

Now, I already knew there was something weird about the treadmills at our office gym. I talked to some people and they agreed that they feel harder than a normal treadmill. You know how you usually have to increase the incline to 2% just to replicate ground running? Well, these ones feel like you are running slightly uphill when they are on zero. You feel like you are running against some kind of resistance or something...very odd. But, those are the dreadmills I have access to, so that's what I'm using!

I get to my friend's gym and they have the old school LifeStart ones. After having to dumb myself down on how to start it with only a few buttons instead of 20, I get going. The first thing I realized is that at 0% inclines, I felt like I was running downhill! So, I immediately increase the incline. I only had a 25 minute run scheduled so I did 20 at 5.2mph and for the last five minutes went up to 5.5 & 6.0. It felt great! That treadmill was so much easier to run on!

I'm supposing maybe its a good thing that I'm mostly running on the "hard" treadmill since maybe its better preparing me for running outside. I hope so! And speaking of running outside...that could really happen any day now! The weather is finally looking up! I have 4 miles on Sunday so maybe that will be my test!

No comments: